Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life Lessons


:( I miss you.

And by "you," I mean my blog.

I miss blogging. I don't blog nearly as much as I used to, and I miss that.

So, because I've recognized this missing part of me, I'm going to make an effort to think of you more often. I mean, I can't really blame my absence on a lack of time, because I can honestly recall plenty of occasions where I had nothing else better to do.

I just, for some reason, chose to do nothing else better.

._.

Well, no more of that!

I'm back (:

... hello! ^^

Actually. I even have something to blog about other than the fact that I want to blog more. It's what inspired this realization- or rather, who.

His name is Charlie McDonnell. You may have heard of him.

He's a YouTuber. A brilliant YouTuber, if I may say so.

When I think about it... he does exactly what I do, only through a different medium. I've tried my hand at "vlogging", and found it to be much more difficult than I immediately presumed. This is one of the reasons I appreciate, and respect Charlie. It's also one of the reasons I stick to blogging.

=P

Anyway, I was catching up on some of his vlogs, when I came across a couple that I related to.

The first one, was this:


I, myself, have made "time capsules" (that's capsules, of course, with a British accent ^^), but only again, through writing- my comfortable medium. Although, I did stumble upon some accidental time capsules me and my friend recorded on Garageband.

Those were funny.

Anyway- the point I was meaning to get across about this video, was how over the past few years of my life, I've been constantly thinking about the future. I've been planning my current life for the benefit of my future life. I couldn't relax, I couldn't except, and be happy with the way things were going at the time. This ended up with me basically running in circles- especially with my album. Working at something creative does not work when you're tense. Ever heard of the saying "Get the creative juices flowing"? Well, things don't flow when there's tension. This, I have learned, and I've accepted it.

Watching this video really inspired me to be happy now. To not be greedy, and always be reaching for more. As he said "You had food to eat. You had friends that you liked. You had a job that you liked, and that was enough."

That may sound a little... uninspiring in a way, but for me, it all comes back to the simplicity of it all. And that is a part of life I enjoy. I'm only sixteen. I don't need to rush things.

Hearing that put into words by someone else, really confirmed my own beliefs about it. It reminded me of how good of a place I'm in right now, and to really savour and enjoy it. :-)

So, thanks Charlie! (:

As for the second video, the title is very appropriate:



Now, what I grabbed out of that video was the all-too-typical "stay true to yourself", but no matter how over-stated and typical that life lesson may be, when it comes down to it- it's true.

My experience with this has yet again to do with my music. In the early stages of writing (back when I was a pre-teen, and younger) I had no-one to answer to, because simply, no-one knew about it. Now, however, I still don't really have anyone to answer to but, sometimes it feels that way. One direct example I can give you is with *yet again* my album. oi vey. =P

I wanted to keep my "fans" in the loop about what I was doing, but I didn't realize the fine line that I was crossing that ended up with me being so aware of what was going on around me (the pressure to finish it on time, not disappointing anyone) that I couldn't give the proper focus my record needed. This ultimately ended with all deadlines being taken off, and my album staying under construction.

This sounds like a horrible ending, and with the knowledge I had at the time, I would think it was. Now, however, I know better. What was the deadline for anyway? I had no reason to even create one. Music is something I love to do, and have a passion for- why would I want to rush my first formal release of that?

I know I'll be playing music all my life- whether or not I can make a living off of it- and right now is part of my life. I'm done with pressing fast forward. This is something that I also want to savour.

I may not have a record on my hands, but over this summer I have learned a lot. I wouldn't trade that for making things easier.

This summer has been different, and now I see what it was.

A WHOLE LOT OF LEARNING.

And I thought that's what school was for. ;)

I'm ready now to continue on, not rushing things, savoring my ... teenage.. hood..

xP

Of course, I'll continue blogging- telling you all about it. =)

Thanks for sticking with me,
and thanks for reading this ever so long blog post.


Much appreciation,

K

No comments: